- HCl is supplied as 36 -38% (w/w) concentrated liquid form.
- The normality of a 37% HCl solution (average conc.) which has density 1.2 g/ml, is 12.18 N.
- 37% (w/w) stock solution of HCl
- Deionized/Double distilled water
- Equipment and disposables
- Measuring cylinder
Preparation of 100 ml of 1N HCl solution from stock solution of HCl [37% (w/w)]
Step 1: Calculate the volume of conc. stock solution required to prepare 1N HCl solution
Use formula: Cf * Vf = CS * VS
VS: Amount stock solution required i.e., Unknown
VS = 1 X 100 / 12.18 = 8.2 ml
Amount of water = 100 – 8.2 = 91.8 ml
Step 2: Take 91.8 ml water in a measuring cylinder and add 8.2 ml concentrated HCl. Mix. Transfer solution to a appropriate glass bottle.
Storage: Solution can be stored at room temperature for several months.
Application: 1N HCl can be used for pH adjustment.