A 10N sodium hydroxide stock solution is prepared which is used for many applications including including adjusting pH of various solutions.
- NaOH pallet
- Deionized / Double distilled water
- Equipment and disposables
- Measuring cylinder
- Conical flask / Beaker
- Magnetic stirrer
Composition: 10 M NaOH solution
Objective: Preparation of 100 ml of 10 M NaOH solution in water
Precaution: Don’t add water in the NaOH pellet. Instead add NaOH pellet in the water (few pellet at a time)
- Take 70 ml deionized/double distilled water in a beaker.
Add few pellet (4 – 5 pellet each time) of NaOH in water and wait until they dissolve. Add few more pellet.
Precaution: The preparation of 10 N NaOH is a highly exothermic reaction, which can cause breakage of glass beaker. One can keep the beaker on ice and can add NaOH pellet.
- Transfer solution to 100 measuring cylinder and adjust the volume to 100 with deionized/ double distilled water.
Note: There is no need to sterilize this solution by autoclaving. No microorganism will grow in concentrated NaOH solution.
Solution can be stored at room temperature for several months.
- NaOH is a strong base and commonly used to adjust the pH of many solution.
- Plasmid isolation by alkaline lysis method
- Preparation of EDTA solution
|Follow the table to prepare NaOH solution of specific concentration and volume or use calculator|
|Conc. / Volume||50 ml||100 ml||250 ml||500 ml|
|1 M||2 g||4 g||10 g||20 g|
|2 M||4 g||8 g||20 g||40 g|
|5 M||10 g||20 g||50 g||100 g|
|10 M||20 g||40 g||100 g||200 g|
Mol. Wt. = Molecular weight