Synonyms: Ficoll 400, Polysucrose-400, Ficoll PM 400
CAS Number: 26873-85-8
Chemical structure: (C12H20O10)n
Molecular Weight: ≈400,000
Appearance: White to yellowish powder
- Ficoll 400 is high molecular weight non-ionic, highly branched, a synthetic polymer of sucrose. It is synthesized by the copolymerization of sucrose and epichlorohydrin.
- Ficoll 400 is hydrophilic. It dissolves readily in water due to the high content of hydroxyl groups. Depending on the concentration, It forms clear to slightly hazy, colorless to yellowish solution in water.
- The aqueous solution of Ficoll 400 is stable at alkaline and neutral pH but rapidly hydrolyzed at pH below 3.0, particularly at elevated temperatures.
- Comparatively low osmolality and low membrane permeability make Ficoll 400 a better choice than sucrose for biological applications particularly for the separation of cells.
- Isolation and purification of cells, cell membranes, cell organelles and viruses.
- Denhardt’s solution, which is used for Northern and Southern hybridization, contains Ficoll 400.
- Ficoll 400 can also be used as a high density agent for the preparation of DNA/RNA loading dye for agarose and polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis of DNA/RNA